Thyroid function tests
Thyroid function tests are available at the Harley Street Health Centre with same-day results for the main profile and 3-day turnaround for thyroid antibody screening.
The thyroid, or thyroid gland, is an endocrine gland located in the neck beneath the cartilage often referred to as the ‘Adam’s apple’. The thyroid produces hormones that regulate metabolism and affect growth rates and other bodily functions. Overall, it plays an important part in your wellbeing.
If you have any of the symptoms listed below, we recommend you speak to a doctor. We provide thyroid function testing at both of our clinics.
Symptoms of thyroid dysfunction
Thyroid dysfunction causes a wide range of very different symptoms.
An overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) causes:
• mood swings, irritability, nervousness, anxiety
• sudden or unexplained weight loss
• excess energy
• heat sensitivity
• infertility or irregular menstruation
• swollen neck (caused by an enlarged thyroid gland)
Conversely, an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) causes:
• low energy
• weight gain
• feelings of depression
• cold sensitivity
• dry, scaly skin
• muscle pains, aches
• irregular periods or infertility
Other forms of thyroid dysfunction include:
• Graves’ Disease
• thyroid cancer
• Hashimoto’s Disease (autoimmune disease where the body attacks the thyroid, often leads to hypothyroidism)